After many comments on my skull nails I painted last week for the look scary event that I couldn't actually go to I thought I would do a little nail art tutorial
What you will need :
Nail polish remover
Cotton buds and cotton wool ( just in case it goes wrong)
Nail varnish, black, White, Clear, yellow, Blue
1. Make sure your nails are clean and dry, use the nail varnish remover to clean them ready to pain.
2. Now you are ready to a paint the base coat, i decided to use black for this but you can use any colour you want, a dark colour is best because it will make the skull stand out more. I used L'Oreal 702 Black swan, I only painted one coat because you are mainly going to cover the nail in the skull pattern.
3. Now this can be quite fiddley, to make the skull pattern draw a circle at the top of your nail, then add a square to the bottom of your nail, and colour this in, I used Saffron London white 11. The trick with the skull is the less nail varnish the better if is thick it takes a while to dry be patient.
4. I draw the Eye sockets, nose and teeth free hand I didn't have a nail art pen but you could always use one of these i just used the nail varnish brush, so make two little eye sockets mid way between the top of the skull and the jar, add a little triangle shape between these for the nose and four little dashes below this in a row for the teeth.
5. Its quite hard to see in this picture but to add shading around the eyes and side of the skull use a off white like Ciate cookies and cream 058*, this is optional it just makes the skull look slightly 3D. You can stop there if you just want a simple skull design, if you want a more mexican style keep reading.
6. To create patterns on the skull make a flower shape in the middle top part of the head, I used Ciate Big Yellow Taxi 074* for this because i just love the contrast of the blue Ciate headliner 066* together use the blue to create swirly patterns next to the flower. Now you can add some patterns around the side of the skull simple dashes with the nail varnish brush will work. Now over the top add the clear nail varnish to protect the design,
*All Ciate Nail Varnishes gifted from Selfridges